Saturday, August 28, 2010

Home Made Gift

After my first attempt, I was itching to get started on another cake.  I thought I would scale this one down a bit - and practice a few new techniques, focusing on creating a clean, fun cake.  This cake was only 1 tier (3 cakes of the same size stacked).  I think I actually had a harder time with this one than with my first 3 tiered cake.  

The original plan was a hat box present with the lid partially open and tissue paper peeping out - i.e. 4 cakes, but I ruined the last cake I baked when taking it out of the pan.  So, I had to edit my cake a bit and decided to ditch the open lid idea and instead place "tissue paper" around the base of the cake.

The fondant was testing me this time.  The texture was a bit off.  Seemed dry, yet was sticky - it didn't make a lick of sense... but I was hoping with everything I was putting on the cake, I could disguise that.  Also, covering a tall, skinny, round cake was much more difficult than I anticipated.  Oh well, I'm learning along the way.

 Everything on the cake is edible - but not sure I would be so brave (ha ha ha).  

If I were to do this all over again, of course there are a lot of things I would change.  At any rate, it is fun to practice and learn from my mistakes.  

It's a good thing there are several birthdays in September in my family... Many birthday cakes for practicing with ;)
xoxo,

Tam a Lam

No comments:

Post a Comment