Sunday, May 15, 2011

Bridal Shower Cake


I was so excited when I finally had an opportunity to do this cake.  Amanda had asked me about making a small bridal shower cake – but she didn’t have any specific design ideas in mind.  I had this design floating around in my head for quite some time and it was a perfect occasion to make it.  Since Amanda left the creative juices up to me, I was so psyched to make this idea a reality.

This cake is inspired by many ruffle wedding dresses, and focuses on one of the most eye catching details on wedding dresses – the buttons on the back.  The peonies add that simple extra touch of color and elegance to make this cake not only ultra feminine but also a bit romantic.
The peonies were a first for me, and I struggled with them a bit.  All of the tutorials I could find required petal cutters, colored luster dust and wires.  None of which I had, and since I wasn’t going to make a profit on this cake, none of which I could justify purchasing.  So I had to wing it and use what I had to make the flower petals – and I am actually quite pleased with how they turned out.

Additionally, although the photos don’t really reflect it, all of the pearls and some of the ruffles “shimmered”.  
This cake was 4 six inch cakes stacked.  Every third “ruffle” intentionally looked a bit imperfect.

Now if only I had all the time and money in the world, I would practice making cakes inspired by fashion every-day ;)

Thanks for letting me take the reigns on this cake Amanda – I hope you all enjoyed it as much as I did making it :)

On another note, took my Certification test this past week... not sure of the results yet, but wish me luck!

Cheers,
Tam a Lam

No comments:

Post a Comment