Sunday, November 14, 2010

Under the Sea

I received an order from someone who wanted to surprise their friend with a 21st birthday cake.  Her friend would love to be a marine biologist someday and so she wanted a "sea themed" cake.  To be quite honest, this is totally out of my element and not a design that I was particularly excited about...  My 'ideal' cakes to make are shabby, chic, feminine or pretty - but between cake orders and work I don't necessarily have a lot of time to design those kinds of cakes.  I have a few other orders coming up and I've been looking forward to getting this cake completed so that I could start on the other orders that I was a lot more excited about.

So I got to work researching sea creatures and sea cakes for inspiration and formulated a plan - hoping this cake wouldn't be too difficult or time consuming.  I made a large 21 and gave it some texture to appear "corally" (yes I made that word up).  I also made some sea creatures - an octopus, some fish, a jelly fish, a couple of star fish and a crab - all with cartoon like faces for fun.  I didn't forget about foliage and included sea weed and other sea plant life.  I covered the cake board with brown sugar and crushed up chex cereal as "sand".  I also added a whale tail splashing through the top of the cake for a fun detail.  With some bubbles and the birthday girl's name on the top, the cake was complete.

This is probably the first time I can say, this cake turned out so much cuter than I imagined (it is usually the other way around).  Although I was not looking forward to designing this cake I am so pleased with the way it turned out.  I don't want to sound conceited or anything but I think this cake is uber cute and cuter than the sea themed cakes I was pulling inspiration from.  Not to mention, the tropical colors are an instant eye catcher, especially with this dreary snowy MN weather.


Happy 21st Birthday Emily!  I hope you loved your cake as much as I did :)


Tam a Lam

No comments:

Post a Comment